Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What I Wore Wednesday: Insecurity


insecure

I once knew a girl.

She had big brown eyes.
She always wore a smile
and never the latest trends.

She would say I don’t mind
And please and please
To make the world happy.

Only that is not what mattered most.

She was not afraid of the world
But it still fought against her day after day.
Or,
maybe because she stared it in the face anyway,
Did it sing the monotonous chorus lines of

You’re not good enough.

She is prettier than you.

You’ll never finish.

Other mom’s

do more. 

Why
Did
You
Even
Try?

Until even laughing in its face was hard to hide
the fact she would want to cry.
And give in.

Only to surprise herself
And others
And didn’t.
And did only what
She’d been taught
And known her whole life:
That her identity was in Christ.
And that she is

Smart

Beautiful

Talented

and made in His image

to persevere

her purpose.

And somewhere along the road
She shed her shroud of insecurity
(That never really goes away
But hides)
because
she has wrapped herself in
Confidence
And never looks to the other side.


insecurity1
Skirt: Anthropologie
Belt: Kohls
Shoes: A Boutique in Big Bear


confidence1


pleated poppy



 

"Let the beloved of the LORD rest secure in him, for he shields him all day long, and the one the LORD loves rests between his shoulders." —Deuteronomy 33:12

20 comments:

engquist said...

I really love this poem...I wrote on a similar theme last year. Thank you for encouraging us all and reminding us of who we really are!

http://www.seewhatiseadesigns.com/2011/06/mirror-mirror.html

Ashley said...

Beautiful- both you and your words! Thanks for sharing!

Rachel said...

Amen! In Christ we don't have to be insecure--because we are loved and treasured by our Creator and we've been bought with a price!
And your outfit--and you!--are lovely, by the way!

Laura from Top This Top That said...

what a great way to start the morning!

Bethany said...

this is wonderful! and ps…you look lovely!

AbsoluteMommy said...

What a great read! Awesome. And I love the skirt!

April Johnson said...

Absolutely beautiful!!

Colville Clan of TN said...

I love the picture at the end, I want my kids to learn it's ok to swim against the current, perfect. Love the belt as well, super cute!

Bobi Jensen said...

Wow! Cool.

Bobi
http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com

Paige said...

What a GREAT post--picture AND words! I love that we can see similar things in each other and take comfort and encouragement from one another! Awesome job!!!

:)
paige

Meg said...

Absolutely beautiful. I am struggling with this RIGHT now. I have terrible insecurities and place my value in the hands of people it doesn't belong in. I had a full blow panic attack in school today, so bad to where I had to stop and my teacher asked everyone to pray for me. It's been an awful, emotional day but these words are encouraging. Thank you.

Nicole said...

I love how you say 'wrap yourself in confidence'. That is a great way of viewing the battle of insecurity vs confidence. Stopping by from The Pleated Poppy.

Kelly said...

I LOVE THIS!!! I LOVE THIS!!!!!

Karen Fieri said...

Absolutely love this! I love the words and your beauty!!

ramsaygrace said...

Sweet, talented, BEAUTIFUL girl...you are so NOT ALONE! Many of us battle these same wars and can relate to every word you wrote. It amazes me how we see ourselves so differently from what others see. The truth is that we truly never know how it is to walk in anothers shoes. Thanks for sharing your sweet message with us today!
Trinity

Delightful Deets said...

Love this, you are amazing! xo

Four Marrs and One Venus said...

Pretty Pretty Girl right here! And I can't WAIT to do lunch on Saturday!!!!!

Nay said...

thank you...that's all.

Terri said...

I just found your blog and love it. You've summed up my life in one sweet well written poem. Many, many blessings to you!

Reannah @ {Shaped by Grace} said...

Hi Terry, thank you so much for your sweet comment! Blessings to you too! xo, Reannah

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...