Sunday, January 8, 2012
10 Day YOU Challenge: 8 Fears
1. Failure. I am a perfectionist and an overachiever. I don’t like to make mistakes and when I do, I’m really hard on myself. I was much worse when I was younger, and have since worked on this as an adult, but it’s something I need to remind myself daily: I don’t need to be perfect. In fact, it is our imperfections that make us beautiful…
2. Being home alone. When I was a little girl my mom, sisters and I were home alone when someone came up to our window and tried to get in. We immediately called my dad and started praying. Amazingly (and totally a move by God to scare him away I’m sure) he ran off as fast as he could and never came back. However, I still get scared when I’m home alone sometimes-- I neurotically lock all windows and doors, the whole bit. But you know, it is also a reminder that God was protecting us that day – and still is. xo
3. Coulrophobia ;o)
4. Spiders. I once paid my son to kill a spider for me. :)
5. Flying. Mostly the take-off and landing. Honestly, it's not a crippling fear; it doesn’t keep me from traveling, it just makes the process a little more nerve racking!
6. Horror movies. And their trailers. Seriously can. not. watch. them. before I go to bed or else I can’t sleep! So – what do I do? I watch a funny movie afterward to make my mind forget about it!
7. If one of my kids were to get really sick or hurt. I can’t stand it when they have the slightest cold or scratch. I physically hurt when they hurt. I can’t imagine seeing them in any serious pain or battling any serious illness.
8. My car breaking down. Again – when I was growing up, and also as a new driver, my family always had horrible broken down cars. I’ve been stuck alone on the side of the road so many times with no cell phone I’ve lost count. So, when I got my jobby job, I vowed I would always have a working car. (It doesn’t always work out that way even with a new car, but at least now I have a cell phone to call for help and don’t have to walk to the call box on the side of the road!)
I know God says “do not fear.” In fact, did you know it is his most repeated command in the Bible? My mind knows this, so I need to remember that in my heart. Maybe I should change this title to “8 reminders to pray.” What do you think?
Thanks for reading my list. I think it was harder to write about my fears than my secrets. Can you identify with any of my fears? How about you? What are some of your fears?
10 Day YOU Challenge: 10 secrets
10 Day YOU Challenge: 9 loves